Get Started - Funding to help kids participate
The Get Started Program has now closed- if you have a voucher it needs to be redeemed by the 31st of May 2013
What is Get Started
Get Started is one of three funding programs that comprise the Queensland Government's Get in the Game initiative to support sport and recreation at the grassroots level.
Get Started assists children and young people who can least afford or may otherwise benefit from joining a sport or recreation club.
Eligible children and young people can apply online for a voucher valued up to $150 online, which can be redeemed at a sport or recreation club registered with Get Started.
The vouchers for eligible children and young people will be available from 9am on 15 January 2013. For further information, refer to the links below.
Who can apply?
The following applicants are eligible for a Get Started voucher:
- children and young people from the age of five and under the age of 18 who hold or whose parent, guardian or carer holds a Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card and are residents of Queensland
- other children or young people identified by two referral agents (see below).
How do I get a voucher?
A parent, carer or guardian of an eligible child or young person can apply online for a voucher under the first round of the program from 15 January 2013. When applying for a voucher, the following details will be required:
- name, age and date of birth of the child or young person
- name, address, telephone number and email address of the parent, carer or guardian
- a valid Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card number, or if the child or young person is being referred, the contact details of two referral agents.
If a child is eligible for Get Started, they are not guaranteed a voucher. The funding will be distributed in two rounds each year on a first come, first served basis. Once the allocation for each round is exhausted, the program will close and no further vouchers will be offered for that round.
Before applying for a voucher, it is recommended that you read the Frequently Asked Questions for Parents, Carers and Guardians and the terms and conditions for the use of the voucher before applying.
Once you have read through the information about the voucher and discussed membership requirements with your local sport or recreation club, you can proceed to apply online. You will be able to apply for a voucher from 9am 15 January 2013.
It is recommended that you:
- use a personal computer or laptop to apply (the online voucher application system does not support IOS or Android devices)
- have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (as a minimum) on your computer (Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and can be downloaded here
- have access to a printer to be able to print the voucher to present it to the local club.